Meet Our Doctors
Dr. Christen Allaman, M.D.
Cataract Surgery, Lens Based Refractive Surgery for Myopia, Hyperopia and Presbyopia, Glaucoma, Diabetes and General Ophthalmology.
Dr. Christen Allaman, a Board Certified Ophthalmologist, completed his undergraduate studies at the University of California, San Diego. After receiving his Medical Degree from Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, he served a first-year residency in internal medicine at California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco. Realizing his talents and international interests would be best served in the field of ophthalmology; he completed a residency at the Eye and Ear Institute, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. In 1996 he joined Keith McKenzie, M.D., in private practice at Eye Care Medical Group, Santa Cruz, California, and in 1998 became the corporation’s president.
Dr. Christen Allaman is President and Medical Director of Cypress Outpatient Surgical Center ensuring that only state-of-the-art, compassionate care extends throughout his office and the operating theatre.
He has also performed volunteer cataract surgery and diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases in Bolivia, Fiji, Guatemala, and Nicaragua. When he is not taking care of patients, Doctor Allaman enjoys sports, particularly skiing and surfing. He also enjoys adventure travels with his family.
Dr. Allaman specializes in:
- State-of-the-art (small incision, sutureless) cataract and phacorefractive surgery with presbyopia-correcting intraocular lens (IOL) implants.
- Medical laser treatments.
- Diagnosis and treatment of the glaucomas, including the newest treatment options available.
- Dry eye care.
- Macular degeneration management.
- Second opinions.
- Preventive comprehensive eye care.
- 1994 Implanted first Intraocular Lens (IOL) Pittsburgh Eye and Ear Institute
- 1998 Implanted first Multifocal Lens First in Monterey Bay Area
- 2005 Implanted first REZOOM Lens First in Monterey Bay Area
- 2007 Implanted first RESTOR Lens
- 2007 Implanted first TORIC Lens
- 2008 Implanted first CRYSTALENS
- 2009 Center of Excellence Award by Bausch and Lomb
- 2009 Implanted first TECHNIS MF First Surgeon on Central Coast
- 2014 First to perform microinvasive glaucoma surgery with the Istent along the central coast
- 2014 Began to perform pterygium surgery with no stitches using biologic glue and amniotic membrane graft
- 2015 New generation of low add multifocal presbyopic correcting intraocular lenses
- 2017 First to implant the new extended depth of focus presbyopic correcting and astigmatism correcting Symfony lens along the central coast
Dr. Craig Blackwell, M.D.
Having grown up in Santa Cruz there seemed to be no more inviting spot to practice and raise a family. After medical school and residency, my wife and I moved back here in 1984, opening an office in the red brick buildings at 550 Water Street. In 1988 we moved to our current location in the Cypress Center adjacent to Dominican Hospital.
After 20 years of performing eye surgery, mainly cataracts, I now limit my practice to medical care and anterior segment laser treatment. We make surgical referrals to those who have a track record of providing excellent care.
Dr. Ted Bailey, O.D.
Ted Bailey, O.D. opened his first Optometry office in Mission Viejo in 1977 after graduating from the Southern California College of Optometry. In 1980, he went to work with a renowned ophthalmologist, Richard Kratz, M.D., in Newport Beach. During that time, there were exciting advances in eye care, including the introduction of the IOL during cataract surgeries, improved Corneal Transplant surgeries, and RK. Dr. Bailey was involved in all aspects of pre-op testing and post-op care of patients as well as heading a large contact lens and optical department. After Dr. Kratz retired in 1991, Dr. Bailey continued caring for his patients at the UCI Ophthalmology Group in Irvine.
In the late 1990’s, Dr. Bailey joined Plager Vision Center in Santa Cruz. For eight years, Dr. Bailey worked closely with Dr. Plager, establishing many exciting and innovative concepts in eye care. They were the first ophthalmologist / optometrist team to bring the new SROP (Surgical Reversal of Presbyopia) surgery to Mexico. After the sad passing of his colleague and friend, Dr. Plager, in 2007, Dr. Bailey chose to purchase the practice and carry on the name of Plager Vision and Optometric Center. Today, he continues the values of experience, compassion, and integrity that Dr. Plager brought to the practice.
Dr. Bailey has been actively involved in all aspects of pre and post op eye care treatments, including cataract, corneal transplant, and LASIK surgeries. He has over 40 years of experience in fitting rigid gas permeable contacts for Keratoconus and Corneal Transplant patients. He is experienced in fitting many types of soft contact lenses including Toric, Multifocal, and Multifocal-Toric lenses. He is certified to use therapeutic agents to treat most eye diseases and is also certified to treat primary open angle glaucoma.
Dr. Bailey is a member of the American Optometric, California Optometric and Monterey Bay Optometric Societies. He has worked with the Flying Samaritans in Mexico to help patients in need of advanced eye care. He is a member of the Physicians Pteron Society, donating to help students, patients, and their families through the Dominican Hospital Foundation. He donates eye exams to the Western Service Workers Association to help low-income workers and he participates in Furlong Vision’s Gift of Sight program, referring patients in need of corrective surgery.
- Bachelors, Chemistry, Calif. State College, Long Beach, 1973
- Bachelors, Visual Science, So. Calif. College of Optometry, 1975
- Doctor of Optometry, So. Calif. College of Optometry, 1977
- TPA Certified, 1996, TMOD, 1996, Glaucoma Certified, 2001
- U.S. Army Reserves, Active and Reserve Duty, 1968-1974
- Rank E-6, Medical Supply Sergeant, Honorable Discharge, 1974
- Stationed: Fort Polk, Louisiana. Fort Sam Houston, Texas. Fort MacArthur, California.
Dr. Melody Flores, O.D.
Dr. Melody Flores, a Board Certified Optometrist, grew up in Northern California where she obtained her Bachelor of Science in Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior from the University of California, Davis. She then worked as a certified optician and contact lens fitter for four years in Sunnyvale and Santa Clara before deciding to take her career in eye care further. She obtained her optometry degree from Southern California College of Optometry (now known as Michael B. Ketchum University) in Fullerton, CA and went on to work in pediatric eye care before deciding to expand her patient base and join Eye Care Medical Group.
When she is not taking care of patients, Doctor Flores enjoys reading, joining local biking/running events, and traveling with family and friends. She is also a military spouse and mother of two boys.
Dr. Flores Specializes in:
- Pre-op and post-op care for Dr. Allaman’s surgeries/procedures
- Emergent care with access to specialists as needed
- Annual eye exams with an emphasis in ocular disease
- Routine vision care and contact lens evaluations/fits
Dr. Orkida Solomon, O.D.
Born in Egypt, Dr. Solomon moved to the San Francisco Bay Area as a teen.
She attended the UC Berkeley School of Optometry with additional training in Puerto Rico.
Dr. Solomon is a board certified optometrist with extensive training in comprehensive eye examination and contact lens fitting. Her contact lens services include fitting soft, soft toric, monovision, multifocals and RGP lenses.
Dr. Solomon is an active member of the California Optometric Association (COA), the American Optometric Association(AOA), and the Monterey Bay Optometric Society.